Tuesday, February 1, 2011

1. Priorities & Unexpecteds

Winter weather in Wisconsin is rarely predictable. It can snow one day and be 70 degrees the next. With such uncertainty, how does one decide what is acceptable workout weather and what is not?

Personally, I consider the closings of schools and blizzard warnings pretty good signs that I should cancel my scheduled 2.5 miler. I also have a list of about 7 priorities that come before training for this half-marathon which I noted in my previous entry. When deciding whether or not one should workout, I think it is important to have your priorities firmly established. Make a list of all the very important things in your life, decide where training falls, and then make a commitment to yourself that you will make choices based on where things fall within this list. It is important to be realistic when creating this list of priorities. What comes first - family or work? Work or training? Training or fun?

Without having a concrete idea of where your priorities are, decisions can sometimes be much more difficult. On the flip side, it is important to find the right balance for ultimate happiness. What might be right for one could be wrong for another. In addition, sometimes life hands us unexpected things. They are nearly impossible to plan for and typically cause us to change plans.

So when I think about training for a half-marathon (and really life in general), I try to remember these things: 1. Priorities. Know them. Follow them. 2. Flexibility. Know when it's appropriate to deviate from your plans. 3. Balance. Make sure you don't become so focused on one thing that you fail to see the big picture.

With all that said, there's a big windstorm blowing snow around at 40mph, and I'm not working out tonight. Accept the unexpecteds.

2 comments:

  1. You're hilarious. I took a snow day last night as well, and I run inside at the YMCA. So no good excuses for me, but alas it is what it is. We both miss one training. I guess we're even. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice name. I really like your comment after I said you would have to train hard to beat me and you go, "that's not my goal, I've already done that!". You inspire me! :)

    ReplyDelete