Monday, February 7, 2011

2. What is Success?

Success. Living in Wisconsin, most people here would consider Superbowl 45 a success (*spoiler alert: Packers won!). Some other people *cough Steeler's fans* would consider the Superbowl a failure. As you might have guessed, success can mean different things to different people.

What this means is that if a person wants to be successful, they first have to define success. You could ask 100 different people what it means to be successful and get 100 different answers. For some, success is getting up on time every morning. For others, success is achieving great financial gain. Without defining success for yourself, you are bound to fail.

For me personally, finishing my first half-marathon last year was a success. My goal was simply to finish. This year, my goal is to run faster than I did last year. If I simply finish but run slower, then I will not consider the race a success.

Ultimately, it is important to make sure you figure out what success means to you. Without defining success, one will not be successful. Only after knowing what success is can you achieve it. *Special Note: Yes, I would consider this fan's helmet paint job a success! Go Pack Go!*

2 comments:

  1. And here I thought you were going to say that you'd consider success as beating your sister. :) My training "officially" started today and I didn't get to run because Brandon had to go to the doctor. Boo. Not excited about adding so much running to the calendar, I'll admit.

    Success for me: breaking the 2:00 mark. I'm aiming for 1:45, although really I'd be happy breaking 2:00. I was so close last time! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, beating you would still be considered a success. A very, very, very, big success. :)

    ReplyDelete