Monday, April 19, 2010

4. Walking (1/2 Marathon T-13 days)



Yesterday I decided to take a 15 minute jog since I was still tired from the 9 miles I ran the previous day and really did not want to go out at all. After only 5 minutes, I was still not wanting to run and making tons of excuses to try and convince myself to quit (it's too hot... you ran so much yesterday... nobody will know, it's all just for you anyways). I continued to miserably jog for another 3 minutes until I was 2 blocks way from the lake I love to run by, and realized it was time for me to just stop and walk.

Walking. For some reason, I have it in my head that walking is inferior to running even though I know this is not true. Rather than just go home, I decided I would walk around the park at the lake and then decide whether or not I was going to walk or run home. After a refreshing brisk walk around the water, I decided I would jog home because then I would be done quicker. Had I just given up and gone home immediately, I would have had much less of a work-out, and I wouldn't have felt good about the work-out at all.

Walking uses muscles differently than jogging, so it is not quite the same. When you are tired though, it is a smart move to mix it in with your run when you feel the need. There are so many benefits to walking. It is foolish to push your body harder than it needs when you are not racing, and even I need to regularly remind myself of this. Safety first!

No comments:

Post a Comment