Tuesday, April 20, 2010

5. Clothing (1/2 Marathon T-12 Days)


The half-marathon is less than 2 weeks away, so my cousin and I have been discussing what kind of clothes we are planning to wear. Typically both of us run in a t-shirt or tank top and shorts or capris. Because our race is 13.1 miles, we ultimately want to be as comfortable as possible.

There are a few problems any fitness enthusiast can tell you about - some  clothes really are better than others. For example, finding the right shorts is almost a job in itself. Some shorts ride up to give you a wedgie, and some have the side effect of chafing after a few miles. Unfortunately, this type of information is not something a store associate can provide you with. It's usually not something you can test out in a store setting either, so unless you are good about returning items (I'm not), one wants to find the best item the first time around.

The weather average for May 2nd is a low of 40, high of 65. We have been having an unseasonably warm spring so far, and the high is already slated to be 70 with a low of 45. I am a big fan of running my long runs in 45-50 degree temperatures, so it is likely to be much warmer than I prefer. We have decided to try this tank top from Under Armour. One of my concerns is that Under Armour material (82% nylon, 18% elastane) tend to ride up when I run. I do not know if this is a sizing problem on my part, or a problem typical for this item.

Two of my friends have also highly recommended purchasing shorts with built in underwear. They said both of previously mentioned problems are not an issue. I have not checked these out yet, but I am planning to look into them. Otherwise I think spandex shorts are a safe bet, so I will probably stick with those.

I am still not sure whether I am going to try and get new shoes and break in before the race or not, but I still have a day or two to decide. Luckily my tax refund is still on its way and not already spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment